Days 12–14: Setting up a Public Instance

The rest of this series can be found here.

Setting up a Public Instance

Today, I’m working on setting up a public instance of this app, since must apps aren’t built just to run on the dev’s local computer. I initially tried running on the server I host several other sites on, but it’s a shared host running Ruby 1.8.7 and Rails 2.3.18, so it’s significantly behind current, and I’m unable to update it.

I could easily run on AWS, Google Cloud, etc., but since this is mainly a self-educational project, I don’t want to pour money into keeping a server running just to host it. Continue reading

Days 6–8: Fixing Bugs, Adding Features

The rest of this series can be found here.

Over the weekend, I worked on this project on my wife’s laptop instead of my main machine, so ran into a couple of issues getting set up. First, rails wouldn’t run, but $ bundle install took care of that problem. Then I had to run $ rake db:migrate to get the database set up, but ran into similar issues as yesterday. At some point, I changed the name of the constant used to add the boolean field, but the migration file still had the old class name. Once I changed that, $ rake db:migrate ran just fine.

Next, I needed to add a few todo items to have some data to work with. For whatever reason, adding new todos worked fine on my main machine, but when I tried to add a new item, I was getting a “First argument in form cannot contain nil or be empty” error. Turns out I had never defined the “new” action in the controller. Took care of that and the app was back in business. Continue reading